Tuesday, March 27, 2012

duplicate rows but no key on the tables

Dear All,

I have a table with 10 billion records but there are no key on it. I cannot
build a key on it as it is the data source.

However, the data source exits the duplicated rows.

I have used the DTS to transform the data into a new table and delete the
duplicated rows. As there are 10 billion records, i need to divide it into 3
parts and also the process lasts for 6 hours each part.

I want to ask is there any other good methods to slove my problem??

Thx

Estheresther s via SQLMonster.com (forum@.SQLMonster.com) writes:
> I have a table with 10 billion records but there are no key on it. I
> cannot build a key on it as it is the data source.
> However, the data source exits the duplicated rows.
> I have used the DTS to transform the data into a new table and delete
> the duplicated rows. As there are 10 billion records, i need to divide
> it into 3 parts and also the process lasts for 6 hours each part.
> I want to ask is there any other good methods to slove my problem??

Eliminating duplicates from 10 milliard(*) rows is nothing for the
impatient. I'm happy that I don't have to play that game.

(*) I assume. 10 billion rows as in what I mean with billion would be
really dauting...

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment